- Edith Garland Dupré Library
- Research Guides
- Resources for History
- Collections & Archives
Resources for History
This guide will provide students doing research in history with a platform for finding primary and secondary sources for their papers.
- Research Help
- Finding Primary Sources
- Finding Secondary Sources
- Reference Sources & Databases
- Collections & Archives
- Selected Readings
- Government Information & Resources This link opens in a new window
- Questions? Ask Us!
Most colleges and universities have collections of primary documents that can be used for research, as do many museums and government entities.
- ArchiveGridAllows you to search for archives and special collections in your state and surrounding areas.
- Using Archives: A Guide to Effective ResearchFrom the Society for American Archivists. Gives some tips on archival research.
- Archives WikiIntended to be a clearinghouse of information about archival resources throughout the world. Sponsored by the:
Archives & Special Collections
Lafayette / Acadiana
- Center for Louisiana Studies Archival Holdings
- The Center for Louisiana Studies' archival holdings represent the collection and preservation activities of several generations of folklorists, ethnomusicologists, linguists, and other cultural resource management professionals. The archival holdings are accessible through a fully cataloged database, and listening copies are available upon request.
- The Image Archive holds over 7,000 digital images from the public domain, the four-decade long Small Towns Project, donated collections and Hurricane Katrina and Rita footage. For inquiries in the collection, contact Assistant Director for Research John Sharp. As most of the image collection is digital and available for reproduction, contact Linda Garber for specific image use requests.
Louisiana - General
- Loyola University Special Collection and Archives
- The Greater New Orleans Archive DirectoryA list with contact info to virtually every collection in New Orleans area
The presidential libraries have a number of useful resources, including digitized copies of primary documents.
- HathiTrust Digital Library This link opens in a new windowHathiTrust is a partnership of academic and research institutions, offering a collection of millions of titles digitized from libraries around the world
- Images of ColonialismCollection of visual record of early European contact with Asia and Africa
- Library of Congress Digital CollectionsAccess to print, pictorial and audio-visual collections and other digital services in the Library of Congress collection. Includes American History & Culture, Historical Newspapers, and more
- Project Gutenberg This link opens in a new windowProvides access to free public domain ebooks. Downloadable in a variety of formats
- Visualizing CulturesThe VC mission is to use new technology and hitherto inaccessible visual materials to reconstruct the past as people of the time visualized the world - or imagined it to be
- Early Americas Digital ArchiveA collection of electronic texts originally written in or about the Americas from 1492 to approximately 1820
- AfricaFocus: Sights and Sounds of a ContinentA collection curated by the University of Wisconsin of primary and secondary sources
- CIA's China CollectionThis collection of over 70 National Intelligence Estimates on China is the most extensive single selection of intelligence analyses the United States Government ever has released
- International Dunhuang Project"A ground-breaking international collaboration to make information and images of all manuscripts, paintings, textiles and artifacts from Dunhuang and archeological sites of the Eastern Silk Road freely available on the Internet and to encourage their use through educational and research programs"
- Biblioteca Digital HispanicaThe collection of the Digital Library of Spain - available in English
- EuroDocsWestern European primary historical documents
- Gallica, French National LibraryA digital collection
- Historical Directories of England and WalesA digital collection of the trade directories of England and Wales. 1766-1919
The Middle East
- Abstracta IranicaA selective and critical bibliography for the Iranian-Aryan world, published an annual supplement to the journal Studia Iranica by the French Research Institute in Iran
- ArchnetOnline community for architects, planners, urban designers, landscape architects, and scholars, with a special focus on the Islamic world
- Bibliotheca AlexandrinaContains extensive collections of documents and resources on Egyptian and Middle Eastern history