- Edith Garland Dupré Library
- Research Guides
- Federal Depository Library for U.S. Government Information
- What Is Government Information?
Federal Depository Library for U.S. Government Information
Q & A
What is government information?
Government information and government information products are published, compiled or created by the government, at government expense or as required by law. This applies to all government publications, regardless of format.
What is a Federal Depository Library?
The Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP) was established by the authority of Title 44, Section 1911 of the U.S. Code.
Libraries designated as depositories agree to provide free and equal public access to government publications. Dupré Library is a Federal Depository of the 3rd U.S. Congressional District.
What subjects are covered in government publications?
Government publications provide current and historical information on a wide range of subjects: art and architecture, business and economics, consumer protection, criminal justice, culture and folklife, education, energy and the environment, foreign and international relations, health and medicine, labor, laws and regulations, nutrition, and science and technology. Government publications include primary and secondary research and information sources.
What types of materials, formats, and media are published by the government and found in depository libraries?
- Primary and secondary sources
- Books, periodicals, scientific and technical reports, maps, posters, kits, and pamphlets
- CD-ROMs, DVD-ROMs, DVDs, audio and video cassettes
- Digital resources and online collections
What is a SuDoc number?
A SuDoc number is a call number assigned to a government publication. SuDoc is an abbreviation for Superintendent of Documents.
Where are government documents located in the Library?
- U.S. Government Documents Collection (1st Floor near the Reference Department)
- These publications have SuDoc call numbers.
- Main Stacks (Standard shelving on all floors)
- These publications have Library of Congress (LC) call numbers.
- Reference Department Collection (1st Floor)
- Microforms Section (1st Floor)
- Louisiana Room (3rd Floor)
How do I search for government publications and information?
Holdings of print government publications and online access to full-text government publications may be located by searching:
For additional links and information,search our web pages:
- Last Updated: Apr 12, 2019 11:39 AM
- URL: https://louisiana.libguides.com/government
- Print Page