Integrating the Library into Moodle
Embed a Librarian
Include a librarian in your Moodle course page (in a student role) to:
- Answer student questions in discussion boards;
- Proactively post library and research tips, links to resources and other helpful information; and
- Provide help at students' point-of-need.
If your course is research intensive, it may be useful to create a Library Questions forum where students can post questions about library resources and research. Select the 'auto' or 'forced subscription' option to ensure that all students (including the librarian) receive a copy of the forum questions and answers in their email inbox.
For more information, contact your departmental librarian.
Library Discussion Forum in Moodle
The easiest way to embed a librarian in Moodle is by adding a librarian as a student in your class, then creating a Library Discussion Forum, where the librarian can answer student questions or post library information and research tips.
To add a forum:
- 'Turn editing on', select 'Add an activity or resource', select 'Forum' from the options menu, then hit 'Add'
- Give the forum a name (such as "Library Questions and Discussion") and a description
- In the 'Subscription and tracking section', select "forced subscription" from the drop-down menu by 'Subscription mode' to ensure that all students in your class also receive copies of forum posts in their email Inbox
- Hit "Save and return to class" or "Save and display"