A. Hays Town
About the Museum
Hilliard Art Museum (Courtesy: Hilliard Art Museum)
The Hilliard Art Museum operates on the campus of University of Louisiana at Lafayette and was originally founded in 1964 as the Art Center for Southwestern Louisiana. Featuring a state-of-the-art modern facility that was erected in 2004, the museum houses more than 2,200 objects in its permanent collection and is the largest art exhibition space between New Orleans and Houston. The Hilliard serves a wide range of educational and cultural needs by fostering cross-disciplinary intellectual discourse on campus, and throughout the region. At the core of the Hilliard's mission is to collect, preserve, interpret, and exhibit the art of our time, while celebrating the great diversity of Louisiana's heritage.
The Hilliard Art Museum's mission is both to serve the students, faculty, and staff of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette and to enrich the lives of Louisiana residents by fostering an understanding and appreciation of the visual arts.
The Museum seeks to achieve these goals through collection development and by organizing and presenting major exhibitions and related programming showcasing artworks from all historical periods and all corners of the globe. Such varied programming will be designed to meet the educational and cultural needs of Louisiana's highly diverse population.
Bridging University and Community, Art and Education, Generations and Cultures
The fundamental elements of the University Art Museum's vision include:
- A belief that exhibitions and critical analysis are important
- A belief that gallery education, publications, and interpretive programming provide individuals unique opportunities for self-expression and personal growth
- A belief that the gallery experience produces benefits and skills which transcend the museum experience and extend into all aspects of an individual's life.
- A belief that these benefits and skills are available to all people, regardless of age, ability or background
- A belief that objects of art and the experience of viewing art promotes dialogue and understanding between individuals, families, communities, and society as a whole
- A belief that well designed and varied art exhibitions and interpretive programming can be an engine for social change
The Permanent Collection
The museum's collection consists of 18th through 21st century European, Asian and American artworks. Selections from the permanent collection are on view on a rotating basis. In addition to the permanent collection, the 11,000 square feet of gallery space features changing exhibitions of regional, national and international art. Learn more about the permanent collection.
Hours, Location & Admission
The Hilliard Art Museum is located at 710 East Saint Mary Boulevard, on the campus of University of Louisiana at Lafayette.
Museum Hours: Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM; Wednesday, 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM; Saturday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM; closed Sunday.
General Admission: $5 Adults, $4 Seniors (62+), $3 Students (5-17). FREE for Members, UL Lafayette Students/Staff/Faculty with identification, and visitors under 5.
Guided tours of the galleries are available Friday & Saturday at 2 PM, complimentary with admission. For general information, visit HilliardMuseum.org or call (337) 482-2278