• Demonstrates confusion in distinguishing between primary and secondary resources
• Demonstrates an understanding of primary and secondary resources
• Demonstrates an understanding of primary and secondary resources and uses them strategically
Depth of Use of Sources
• Uses more secondary than primary resources & only 1 from Special Collections used minimally;
• Includes some resources that are irrelevant to topic or not useful to the focus of the paper
• Uses equal number of secondary and primary resources with 2-4 from Special Collections or cites a few collections frequently and some archive sources used in multiple ways
• Includes a majority of resources that are useful and tie to the focus of the paper
• Uses a greater number of primary than secondary resources with 5+ from Special Collections and cites a few collections extensively and has a clear and purposeful intention for their use
• Includes excellent and varied resources included to support the analysis of the topic
• Establishes organization of the document but fails to stay within the organized structure, ideas occasionally fail to make sense together, reader is limited in identifying a line of reasoning and loses interest, missing abstract
• Establishes a clear structure and organization of the document, ideas grouped logically and sequenced within and across the paper with minimal waiver from the design, includes abstract not more than 250 words
• Establishes a strong organization for the paper, including sub-sections/mini theses relating to the major thesis providing strength to the argument, includes abstract not more than 250 words
• Information supports a central purpose but analysis is vague or not evident..
• Information provides reasonable support for a central purpose or argument and displays evidence of a basic analysis of a significant topic
• Balanced presentation of relevant and legitimate information that clearly supports a central purpose or argument and shows a thoughtful, in-depth analysis of a significant topic.
• Contains errors in spelling, sentence structure, grammar, paragraphing but paper is readable
• Contains clear paragraphs, topic sentences and transitions are effective, correct spelling, some grammar errors but do not interfere with the argument of the paper
• Contains clear paragraphs, effective use of sentence structure, spelling, and grammar to support the argument and includes strong topic sentences and transitions throughout the paper
• Shows limited understanding of proper use of citations, footnotes, and discipline-required bibliography format – 4+ errors
• Shows adequate understanding of proper use of citations, footnotes, and discipline-required bibliography format – no more than 2 -3 errors
• Shows a strong understanding of the proper use of citations including complicated citations, footnotes, and discipline-required bibliography format – 1 or less errors.